|Season 12, Episode 1|
|Air date||September 22, 2005|
|Written by||Lisa Zwerling, John Wells & Joe Sachs|
|Directed by||Christopher Chulack|
"The Show Must Go On"
Canon City is the 1st episode and the twelfth season premiere of "E.R."
SAM'S (LINDA CARDELLINI) SON ALEX RUNS AWAY TO FIND HIS FATHER: Sam (Linda Cardellini) and Kovac (Goran Visnjic) report Alex missing to the police and suspect that he is trying to find his father. Kovac and Sam are especially worried because Alex is diabetic and he has forgotten his insulin.
Neela (Parminder Nagra), Ray (Shane West) and Abby (Maura Tierney) struggle with their first shifts in charge of the new interns.
Mehki Phifer, Sherry Stringfield, and Scott Grimes also star.
Sam and Luka are desperately trying to find Alex, who has run away from home in the previous episode. Meanwhile, Ray, Abby and Neela have their first day as R2's, which means that besides treating patients, they have to monitor and teach interns.
- Samantha Taggart
- Neela Rasgotra
- Ray Barnett
- Susan Lewis
- Michael Gallant
- Luka Kovac
- Abby Lockhart
- Archie Morris
- Starting with this episode Alex Taggart is now played by (Dominic Janes) instead of (Oliver Davis)
- Sam (Linda Cardellini) has lighter hair in this episode than she did in The Show Must Go On even though there are only a few hours separating the timeline in the episodes.
- This is the last episode showing Susan Lewis (Sherry Stringfield) as a series regular. It is later stated in episode 5 "Wake Up" that she takes a position in Iowa. Susan will return in the final episode of the series Season 15, Episode 22 "And in the End..."
- Neela: [to Teddy] Just listen, okay. You want to know a secret? You don't have to be that smart to be a good doctor. You just have to be thorough, systematic, and meticulous.
- Teddy: I'm trying.
- Neela: Not hard enough. You've missed glaring physical findings, overlooked critical labs and I've been correcting your med orders all night.
- Teddy: It's my first shift.
- Neela: I realize that, but you're responsible for real people here and I can't watch your every move.
- Teddy: I know that and I want to thank you. [attempts to touch Neela's shoulders]
- Neela: [shrugs him away] And your attitude is just so...contrite and appreciative. It's just weird.
- Teddy: [crying] I guess I just don't get it.
- Neela: Wait.
- Teddy: I'm gonna get some coffee. You need anything?
- Neela: Teddy, wait! We'll do a head to toe H&M together. It might help identify what some of your deficiencies are. [Teddy continues to walk away] Bollocks.