|"Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic"|
|Season 8, Episode 3|
|Air date||October 11, 2001|
|Written by||R. Scott Gemmill & Elizabeth Hunter|
|Directed by||Richard Thorpe|
"The Longer You Stay"
"Never Say Never"
Blood, Sugar, Sex, Magic is the third episode of the 8th season of "E.R."
After catching Malucci with his pants down, Weaver resorts to drastic action while Greene's teenage daughter, Rachel arrives at County with unexpected news, an abandoned newborn baby Chen is treating possesses healing powers and Abby ropes Carter into helping her fix a mistake she caused while removing her belongings from Luka's apartment.
GREENE MUST COPE WITH REBELLIOUS TEEN DAUGHTER WHILE CARTER AND ABBY TIGHTEN THEIR ROMANTIC TRIANGLE: Dr. Greene (Anthony Edwards) is surprised when his rebellious teenaged daughter (guest star Hallee Hirsh) suddenly appears at the hospital after running away from his ex-wife (guest star Christine Harnos) while a skirt-chasing Dr. Malucci (Erik Palladino) flirts with disaster and Dr. Carter (Noah Wyle) and Abby (Maura Tierney) draw even closer to each other.
A hesitant Dr. Chen (Ming-Na) is tested when she struggles to save the life of an abandoned baby, who some believe has a birthmark resembling a religious icon.
A resourceful Malucci does some fast work when he tries to help an ailing patient while stuck together in a hospital elevator.
Dr. Romano (Paul McCrane) dresses down Dr. Weaver (Laura Innes) when a local newspaper investigates the death of a patient who expired on her watch. Eriq La Salle, Alex Kingston, Michael Michele and Goran Visnjic also star.
- Romano signs "Take care of your father" to Reese after sending Benton home early to be with his family.
- It is revealed that Malucci has a child.
- From this episode, Rachel Greene is portrayed by Hallee Hirsh, replacing Yvonne Zima who last appeared in the penultimate episode of season 6, "Such Sweet Sorrow".
- In the "Previously on ER" segment, Zima's final scene, where Rachel and Mark talk by the waterfront was re-shot to feature Hirsh as Rachel. This is the second time in successive episodes the recap featured a scene re-shot to depict a new actor in a role. In The Longer You Stay, the recap featured a scene from the season 7 finale Rampage in which Roger punches Peter, with Vondie Curtis-Hall playing Roger instead of Victor Williams.
- Red Hot Chili Peppers: "Blood Sugar Sex Magik"
- Cake: "Short Skirt/Long Jacket"
- Abandoned Pools: "L.V.B.D."
- Looking Glass: "Brandy (You're a Fine Girl)"
- Rupert Holmes: "Escape (The Piña Colada Song)"
- Starland Vocal Band: "Afternoon Delight"
- Malucci [to Weaver] You wanna know why this stupid ER is so damn important to you? Do you know why? Because it's the only thing that you've got in your life. [throws his badge at Weaver] Nazi dyke.
- Carter: I'm calling my lawyer.
- Abby: They haven't charged us with anything.
- Carter: We are sitting in the back of a police car.
- Abby: What are they gonna arrest us for, aquatic mischief?